Friday, May 9, 2008

Harbinger of gloom

I'm convinced that I'm the harbinger of bad weather. Gray clouds follow me everywhere I go! (Either that or the weather in the whole of continental USA just sucks this week). It was pouring with rain when I finally arrived back at Indianapolis yesterday. Gee.

Anyhow, I'm home!! Room is extremely messy and so I'm going to have to clean up today. And also go get an overdue TB test shot (please please please let it be negative), and maybe cook dinner tonight. I found a whole boxful of sauces last week that my parents sent from Singapore and I haven't found the time to use. My and roommie are doing a big 打扫除 of the apartment.

Anyway, I should update some more about California. Hospital at Arcadia turned out to be quite a mistake, and I knew it the second the SLP told me that she spends 80% of the time doing swallowing, which seriously ranks right at the very bottom of my preferred caseload. (Ok I know there are some people out there who loove swallowing, but... WHY??) And then I found out that the hospital serves mainly adults, which was a 2nd no-no for me. And then the SLP told me twice how much she hates working with kids. She loves adults cos if they don't want treatment then they can just sign out of it and leave, she doesn't have to put in effort to persuade them or anything (unlike those darn kids!). And thats when I knew that I also probably would NOT get along with her as my supervisor.

I guess I'm crossing it off my list! I'm keeping my fingers crossed about Rady's in San Diego. I also asked my clinic director for other childrens hospitals that I can go to, just in case.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

swallowing? swallowing??? *scratch head*

Meijie Chen said...

I know! My roommate asked me the same question 2 days ago. Swallowing (unfortunately) is part of my job scope. We give people barium-infused foods then watch them chew and swallow it on the x-ray machine, make sure it goes down the esophagus and not the trachea and no reflux and blahblah..

In short, we have the fun job of deciding whether people (and babies) can eat solid food or not. And if you make a wrong call and someone dies... can you say lawsuit??? Pah.

Anonymous said...

Eeeew..doesn't sound the least bit fun.