Most people I meet fall into two categories:
1) Those who don't know what a speech pathologist does
2) Those who do know what a speech pathologist does, because they have personal experience working with one (or know someone who does).
Its amazing how many people, after finding out my job, immediately launch into a story about how their kid has cochlear implants, hearing loss, autism, Down Syndrome, articulation errors.. or that they went through therapy themselves as a kid. In fact, when I very first arrived in the USA, the customs officer at the LA airport looked at my student visa and told me his little girl had to go see one of "you people" because she has hearing loss.
But anyway, it makes me happy to hear their stories. :) Positive stories, that is (so far no one has told me that we suck). The world is a better place because of speech pathologists! We prevent the school dropouts, social outcasts and juvenile delinquents of tomorrow. That's what I believe anyway. Hurhur.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment