Today at church I talked to the lady next to me. I must say that I'm fairly shy and making first moves does not come naturally to me. But boy, am I glad I did it. Or maybe you could say the holy spirit nudged me into it.
It took me about 10 secs to realize her English was very poor. We spoke a bit in English, but at the end of class we had the chance to talk more in Mandarin and thats when the conversation really started. She's from Beijing, she worked as a dentist for 22 years but became a dental assistant when she came to the US because of qualifications and language issues. And because of that she eventually decided to stop working and also she doesn't really have friends. Even to a not-too-observant person like me, her frustration and loneliness was clear.
I've always considered myself pretty talent-less. I am not gifted in speaking, ministering, teaching, music, art, leadership.. the usual areas of "spiritual gifts". But now, I am starting to see that God has in fact given me two special gifts: 1) bilingualism in English and Chinese and 2) working with kids (especially those with special needs), and also, heaven-sent opportunities to utilize them for His work. :)
"Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others." -Romans 12:4
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment