Sunday, January 24, 2010

We're engaged!

So, for the people who haven't heard.. Troy and I are officially engaged! :))))

This is my ring that I picked out because I wanted something a little more unique than a solitaire. I like the three stones representing our past, present, and future. And the trinity. Makes it a little more meaningful I think.Everyone wants to hear the proposal story, but I think I'll save it for when I set up the wedding website. Or tell them in person at the wedding. ;)

Things we've done so far:
1) Bought my dress - $299
The fiance and I went to David's Bridal in Richfield last Friday, and I found the peeeeerfect dress. It was my size, my color, everything I want, AND $300 off!!! WOAH. It was the first and only dress I tried on and we bought it. We were in and out of the store in 20 minutes. Absolutely no one can believe how speedy I was. :) What can I say? I know what I want and I get it. :)))2) Ordered my wedding band - $129.99
Again, going for a little more unique. I think plain bands are boring, and almost everyone I know who was recently married has a diamond eternity band. I couldn't find a ruby ring I liked, so sapphires it is! I think it'll match my engagement ring well, but we'll see. I'm eagerly anticipating it in the mail. :))

3) Venue (The Golden Lantern Inn) - $2300
We haven't put down a deposit yet, but we went to visit this place (that I've been eyeing online forever) yesterday. It is a very cute little B&B in Red Wing, MN, which is about 1.5 hours drive southeast of where we live. We are planning to have a garden ceremony and reception on September 5, 2010. We were back and forth between Sep 4 or 5 for a while, but now I think we're sticking to the 5th because its a Sunday and $300 cheaper. Its Labor Day weekend so Monday is a holiday and people can rest after the drive home. Red Wing is about a 7-hour drive from up north where most of Troy's family and friends will be coming from, and 8 hours from Indiana, where most of my friends and some of his extended family will be coming from.

The plan is to have the bridal party stay with us at the house, that way its easier for us to set up before the wedding, have rehearsals, etc. and we don't have to go anywhere else after the reception. Plus we get to spend lots of time with our friends, which will be awesome since we don't get to see them that much.

There are two little inns just a block away, so we'll probably put our families and other guests there. Unless we block rooms at a hotel downtown, or possibly at the Treasure Island casino that is 10 miles away. ;) We haven't decided on that yet.

We are paying for the wedding ourselves and since we are both fresh out of school and hence very poor, it will be a very small, intimate, but hopefully still a BLAST of a wedding! :))) Our biggest expenses will probably be the venue, photographer, and DJ. But photography is one of THE MOST important things (to me anyway) so I have to find an awesome one, even if it sets us back some $2500! :P

2 comments:

Sylvia said...

whoa! Congrats!

I like the wedding band!!
The wedding venue looks lovely too..

Anonymous said...

Hey Meijie, congrats!! :D and what a nice venue! - Lindy